Downloadable (1PDF - 6 pages)
In this lesson students will develop an understanding of the origins of genes, gene mutation and how these mutations may affect organisms in a positive, negative or neutral way. Students will explore this concept by creating and using various mutations which may help or hinder their performance in a candy grabbing game. The mutations set by the students will alter how easy it is to grab candies from a table.
After completing this interactive lesson, students will:
- Understand how genes are carried through chromosomes to determine the structure of proteins
- Define genetic mutations as variations in the genetic information which happen as the information is passed from a parent organism to its offspring
- Be able to understand that mutations can have positive, negative o neutral effects on the offspring
- Lesson plan
- PowerPoint slides on gene mutation
Additional resources required:
- Small bag of candies (10-15 pcs) for each group of 6
- General office supplies that students can use to make mutations- tape, paper, paper clips, etc.
- Dice for each group of 6
- Plastic cup for each student