Downloadable (2 PDF files, 1 PPTX & 2 mp4 videos)
Buoyancy is approximately 50 minutes long and includes:
- Introduction Video: This short video is an introduction to the concepts and terminology of this topic.
- Lesson: This lesson introduces the concept of buoyancy. A 16 slide lesson PowerPoint is included with experiment notes for a short activity involving ketchup.
- Real World Example: The Science of Aquatic Rescue: Floating can be pretty handy. Watch this video to find out more about how scuba divers use buoyancy to their advantage.
- Activity: Egg Float: Students have a chance to manipulate the density of a liquid.
Additional resources required for this activity:
- a clear cup or beaker
- a hard-boiled (cooked) egg in the shell
- a teaspoon
- warm water
- empty 2L pop bottle with lid
- ketchup packets